Sunday, August 17, 2008

Friend Feed - Pvt Room Usage

I am cleaning up my main life stream on FF. I am getting too much noise and echo of the same stuff that I have already consumed one way or another. However, I will continue to participate on my main page.  Here's a couple of my private rooms and its content ;

My-News Room is for collating all the stuff from Reuters: Top News, AL JAZEERA ENGLISH (AJE)Google News, Yahoo! News: Most Popular , APnews's videos on livevideo , CNN.com ,  and a wire scrapper ;World News Host.

I  get top line info from all these sites and am on the ball with whatver is happening around the globe. Just spending 5 minutes scanning the top line title header, gives me more then enough info to either dive deeper or not !



 
Technially I have the worlds News Corps working the news and the news comes to me as soon as the story is cut ! :)-
On that note, I then began leveraging off  the wisdom of crowds. Why go searching for information, let it bubble up to the top and cull the meta set of pages. Content is variable and flavors of preference too, However, that interests me to. And, who has time to browse the net ? So I began crowd sourcing and leverage off the wisdom of others, I Created a Play Pen  
   
Whatever hits Delicious hotlist ; Digg , Techmemereddit.com: what's new online ; BuzzFeed - Latest gets aggregated into this room. I maybe behind the curve while getting a good link. But remember, most of these items can only reach front page, only after many thousands of views and many votes etc. So if the main internet user base finds it interesting , then it will pop up here. So I guesstimate that about 1-2Million users actually use these sites and thereby I am 'feeding' off them like a parasite :)- 
(if you have more suggestion to which sites I should add to this room, please let me know !)
After we had the S3 outage, I then figured out lets create a "cloud status board". I took all the Status board messages and plugged them into this room. What gives here? The Health of the Internet. I can see which services are down and when they went down or up. Think of it as a mini NOC  Tool !! Heres a screen scrap. 
 
As something that directly relates to my job and profession. Heres a monitoring room on CBSA and CBP.gov:, BSA Media  Rather then keep this keep this in my outlook. I mirrored the same into a separate room
Why am I sharing this with you all ?
I want to know ;
1) Is anyone else doing the same with thing - using FF as one big aggregator ?
2) What other Feeds should I be including ?
3) What happens if FF breaks, I have no way to port in and out all my likes, preferences and shares ? Thereby , losing my knowledge thread repository .  
Note: this is only a thin slice of what I got setup :)-

No comments: